Fall 2020 Admitted Students FAQs

We are updating our FAQs regularly. Please check for additional FAQs. 

Cal Grant / State-based Grants

A: There is an appeal process through the California Student Aid Commission. Contact them at 1-888-224-7268. More questions about Cal Grants, California Dream Act, Middle Class Scholarship, California Chafee Grants for foster youth, Cal Fresh eligibility notifications or how to apply for a Cal Grant? Visit or e-mail [email protected]

Changes in Financial Circumstances

A: Yes. You will be able to fill out a "Request for Review" available via the "Forms" section of the Financial Aid website. This cannot be turned in however until July. If you are an incoming student, you will need to make a decision regarding attending SDSU prior to hearing back. Please keep in mind that if you are not a CA resident, you can only qualify for grant aid from the federal government. With a 0 Expected Family Contribution (EFC) the grant aid would likely not exceed approximately $6,000. The remaining cost of attendance would have to be paid from your personal resources or by activating loans.

Document Delivery to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships

Answer: Please do not send documents via fax or email. Your personal information is at risk. Instead, please send documents by mail (or to our office drop box) Be sure to provide the student's Red ID on all documents.

San Diego State University

Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships

5500 Campanile Drive 

San Diego, CA 92182-7436

Financial Aid Eligibility for the 2020-21 Academic Year

A: Awarding will begin in early April.


There are loan limitations that are set by the federal government. Go to: Annual direct loan limits by class level for more information.

Loan activation for the 20-21 academic year will begin in July 2020.


A: You can only apply for scholarships after completing the Intent to Enroll and creating your SDSU ID. You will not hear back regarding being awarded the scholarship until summer or early fall. 

Verification Documents

A: You may obtain your Tax Return Transcript online at  If you are unable to obtain them using the on-line tool, then you must download Form 4506-T from the IRS website.  This is a form you mail in to the IRS to request your Tax Return Transcript or Verification of Nonfiling Letter to be mailed to you.    

For additional questions, email us at [email protected]