How to Order an IRS Tax Return Transcript
Order an IRS Tax Return Transcript - It's Free
First try the IRS Data Retrieval as it may be faster and easier than ordering a Tax Return Transcript. In some cases, you may still need to order a Tax Return Transcript.
If your application is selected for verification and you did not use the IRS Data Retrieval process when completing or correcting your FAFSA, you will be required to order a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS and submit it to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.
If you are required to order a Tax Return Transcript:
- The IRS will mail the Tax Return Transcript to the tax filer within 5-10 days of the request once the IRS has a completed tax return.
- "Get Transcript" application allows you to view and print your Tax Return Transcript the same day. (To view and print the same day, you must order online.)
- You can order a free IRS Tax Return Transcript online or by phone.
Order online - it takes less than 10 minutes
- Go to the IRS website.
- Follow the online prompts and instructions to receive a Tax Return Transcript by mail, or select "Get Transcript ONLINE" to view and print one online the same day.
- Order a "Tax Return" transcript; do not order a "Tax Account" transcript.
Order by phone
- Call the IRS toll free at 1-800-908-9946.
- Follow the voice instructions and prompts, using your telephone keypad to request your Tax Return Transcript.