FAFSA - Information You May Be Asked to Verify
You and/or your parents may be asked to submit documentation or clarification of information you provided on your FAFSA.
IRS tax return transcripts
You and your parents may be required to submit Tax Return Transcripts from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Because of a change in federal law, personal copies of tax returns are not accepted as verification of income. A Tax Return Transcript will document:
- Taxable income
- Federal income tax paid
- Certain untaxed income and benefits received
Other information you may be asked to document
You may be required to document or clarify other information, such as:
- Income earned from work if you were not required to file a tax return
- Assets such as bank accounts, rental properties, value of a business or investment
- Untaxed income and benefits received
- Child support paid and to whom
- Number of family members in the household
- Number of family members enrolled in college
- Citizenship status
- Your name and your social security number
- Any information needed to clarify your status and determine your aid eligibility
Use IRS Data Retrieval
The IRS Data Retrieval process may be faster and easier than ordering a Tax Return Transcript.
In some cases, you may still need to order a Tax Return Transcript.
A personal copy of your tax return is not acceptable.