Dependents of Veterans
Dependents of certain veterans may be eligible for educational assistance through 2 avenues:
- The Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35) and/or
- The Cal Vet Fee Waiver Program
The Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
Cal Vet Fee Waiver Program
- If you are eligible, the fee waiver will affect your total financial aid eligibility due to the reduction in your cost of attendance.
- Student Account Services has instructions on how to obtain authorization and use your fee waiver before you register each semester.
The spouse, child, or registered domestic partner of a veteran may qualify for fee waiver benefits at any California State University if the veteran:
- Served during a “qualifying war period” and
- Has a service-connected disability, or
- Died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition
The child of a veteran may also qualify for a waiver of California state basic tuition and fees if the veteran:
- Has a service-connected disability , or
- Had a service-connected disability at the time of death, or
- Died of service-related causes
Dependents of a member of the California National Guard who was killed or permanently disabled while in service to the state may be eligible for similar benefits.
For more information, contact:
Enrolled through the College of Extended Studies?
Note: If you are enrolled through the College of Extended Studies, you cannot use a Cal-Vet Fee Waiver to pay for those classes. Learn more about your benefits for non-traditional enrollment.