Reporting Income and Veterans Benefits
Learn how to report income and veterans benefits on your FAFSA
Read and follow the FAFSA instructions for each question. The way in which you report income and benefits on your FAFSA may differ from what you report to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
- Veterans non-education benefits such as Disability, Death Pension, or Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC), and/or VA Educational Work Study allowances should be reported as untaxed income on your FAFSA
- Report your food allowance (BAS)
- Do not report your military housing allowance (BAQ or BAH) or the value of your on-base military housing
Veterans education benefits
Federal veteran's education benefits will not affect financial aid award amounts.
For information about veterans education benefits, visit the SDSU Veterans Center, G.I. Bill website or contact your local Veterans Affairs Office to determine what education benefits you may be eligible to receive and how to activate your benefits.
Some of the benefits for which you may be eligible are:
- Post- 9/11 G.I. Bill - Chapter 33
- Montgomery G.I. Bill – Active Duty, Chapter 30
- Montgomery G.I. Bill - Selected Reserve, Chapter 1606
- Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Chapter 31)
- Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP, Chapter 1607)