Rights and Responsibilities
As a student receiving financial aid at San Diego State University, you have certain rights and responsibilities. This section presents an overview of these rights and responsibilities, including:
- Satisfactory academic progress: Learn about how your grades, units earned, and enrollment affect the financial aid you receive and how to file an appeal if you do not meet requirements.
- Your privacy: Your financial aid information cannot be disclosed without your authorization. Find out how to authorize release of information, and what authorization does and does not allow.
- Drug law violations and consequences: A drug conviction can affect your eligibility to receive federal student financial aid. Learn how a drug conviction could impact you.
- Report any additional financial resources you are receiving such as teaching assistantships, scholarships, stipends, and alternative loans
- Report changes in your enrollment status to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships
- Be accepted by the SDSU Office of Admissions into an SDSU course of study leading to a degree, credential, or eligible certificate
- Maintain enrollment in a minimum number of units at SDSU (learn how Enrollment Affects Aid)
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) as defined by SDSU
- Keep your mailing address, email address and telephone number up to date through the Office of the Registrar on the WebPortal
- Tell us if you do not plan to attend SDSU during the fall and/or spring semesters
- Request a reevaluation of any decision concerning your financial aid award
- Notify the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships in writing about unusual circumstances, not reported on the initial Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), that you feel might affect your eligibility
- Review your financial aid records
- Request that the SDSU Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships correct any records that you believe are inaccurate
- Decline any part or all of the financial aid award including a Direct Loan
- Cancel all or a portion of your Direct Loan disbursement
- Have the Direct Loan proceeds returned to the holder of the loan
- Be notified by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships through AidLink about your eligibility for financial aid
- Be informed through AidLink of any changes made to your financial aid award
General Rights and Responsibilities
Did you know? You can find more information about student rights and responsibilities on the Division of Student Affairs website: