- Full-time enrollment for a graduate student is a minimum of 9 units of coursework numbered 500 through 999.
- Half-time enrollment for a graduate student is a minimum of 5 units of coursework numbered 500 through 999.
Enrollment in thesis, dissertation or clinical internship
- Graduate students enrolled in Thesis 799A are considered to be enrolled full time.
- Graduate students enrolled in Thesis 799B or 799C are considered to be enrolled half time.
- Graduate students enrolled in Doctoral Research 897, Doctoral Dissertation 899, or Clinical Internship (Psychology 894), are considered to be enrolled full time.
- If you enroll through the SDSU World Campus (formerly: College of Extended Studies) for thesis, dissertation or internship, you do not pay California State University fees and are not eligible for State University Grant.
- A Cal-Vet Fee Waiver cannot be used for extended studies fee payment.
- Other fee waiver or veteran benefit fee payment programs may also be affected.
- Check with the SDSU World Campus Registrar's Office (formerly: College of Extended Studies) or the state or federal agency paying the benefits.
The number of semesters you may receive financial aid when enrolled in thesis, dissertation or clinical internship is limited (see Grades and Units Affect Aid for more information).
Limited eligibility for a second master’s degree
- If you are pursuing a second master’s degree, you may be eligible for the Direct Loan Program.
- Eligibility is limited to 2 years.
Thesis enrollment status versus cost
You pay a lower amount for basic tuition and fees if your total units are 6 or less, regardless of your enrollment status.
This lower cost affects eligibility for a State University Grant and other aid, including student loans.