Repaying the Parent PLUS Loan
Repayment usually begins within 60 days after the loan has been fully disbursed (typically the spring semester).
- Exception - You may request that repayment be deferred while your student is enrolled at least half time. However, unpaid interest accumulates and capitalizes which means the interest is added to the loan principal, thus increasing the amount of loan and its total cost.
Calculate your payments before you borrow
- Go to the Direct Loan Repayment Estimator webpage.
- Select "Direct PLUS" as the Loan Type.
- Enter various loan amounts until you find a match with your needs.
- Click on the "Calculate" button to view the estimated monthly payment.
Get more info
For detailed information on Direct PLUS Loans, including repayment, visit the Direct Loan section of the Federal Student Aid website.